When & Where?
The SSFC2017 is the first Freediving Competition in Indonesia that fully funded by the Ministry of Tourism, Republic of Indonesia, will take place over the period of six consecutive days starting on November 26th until December 1st. Trainings available on November 12th. Location will be the Balohan bay, located on Weh Island’s southeast coast, West of Indonesia. The competition platform will be anchored with maximum depth around 100m. Shuttle boats will bring athletes to and from the competition area.
Who can join?
Freedivers of all levels are welcome to compete. The only prerequisites are:
- Minimum age is 18 years or 16 with parental consent
- You need to be in good health and present the Medical Statement signed by a physician
- In order for your dives to appear in the ranking you need to be a member of your National AIDA. If your country does not have an AIDA yet please contact us in advance
- The maximum depth for the competition is 90m
How can I join and how much is it?
The cost for the competition is FREE. This includes:
- The 3 official competition dives over 6 days (1 off day in between)
- The Workshops from top world freediver
- 10 days free use of training buoy and 50m line
- Boat transport to-from competition platform during official dives
- AIDA fees and entry into the AIDA ranking system
- The closing ceremony on December 2nd
And do not include:
- Transport to-from Weh Island
- Medical and evacuation insurance or expenses
- The Platform pre-competition training with competition setup (Counter ballast system, DPV safety, Sonar, emergency boat etc.)
After registering online you will need to send us flight ticket confirmation to reserve your place. If we do not receive until September 17th, your registration will expire and we give priority to the next athlete on the waiting list.
We have space for 40 competing athletes. Once the competition is full we will create a waiting list for any additional inquiries. Once registered athletes cancel, we will give priority to the next diver on the waiting list.
The Competition Meeting
There is an event meeting where all competing athletes must be present. It will take place on November 25th at 3pm at the Mars Resort Weh Island. What you need to bring:
- Your passport
- Your lanyard including belt for CNF for checking by the judges and will be stickered
- Your Medical Statement which must be signed by a physician and says “fit for Freediving” and is not older than 1 year
- We will take your depth announcement for day 1 and day 2
For athletes who do not have a medical statement, there will be a doctor present who will issue medicals for a fee of 20 USD from 2:30-3pm.
After completing the registration of all athletes we will give a review of the competition rules and also publish the start list for day 1 and day 2. The meeting will finish at around 6pm.
3-pack depth competition
There are three competition dive in six days. Every 2 days is dedicated to one of the depth disciplines.
- Day 1-2: CWT
- Day 3-4: FIM
- Day 5-6: CNF
The best overall results (disciplines performed in that order) will determine the top three divers (male / female). However you are free to announce dives that are not representing the discipline of that day. For example you can do a FIM dive on the CNF day. That dive will of course appear in the AIDA International ranking, but you will receive zero points for that day for the comp internal ranking.
Safety is our top priority. We want to organize an event that is fun and relaxed but at the same time safe and professional. Here are some of our safety mechanisms:
- Announcements in each discipline are limited to not more than 5m than the athletes PB in training
- Due to high safety standard, our safety freedivers will only handle 20 divers per day.
- A group of Instructors level Safety Freedivers will provide safety at the appropriate depth for every diver
- Deep Safety with a DPV (scooter) will be used by primary safety freedivers to gain more safety and confident for all the divers
- Every dive will be monitored from the surface by our Depth Sonar
- Our highly effective Counterweight System gives us the possibility to retrieve divers within very short amount of time
- Competition doctors and nurses will be on standby for every diver
In the unlikely event of any diver needing additional care in a hospital we have NAVY Speedboat on standby that can reach the nearest hospital and Decompression Chamber Facility in the city of Aceh within 15min.
The Medical Team, Judges and Organizers have the right to refuse the start of any athlete if diving would pose an obvious risk to the diver’s health.
November is usually good month for Freediving in the bay of Balohan, Weh Island, Indonesia. The bay is much protected, very little to no wind will make for nice surface conditions. The water temperature will be 28- 30 degrees on the surface. This temperature stays constant until a depth of around 50m. The expected visibility is around 20 – 30m. We try our best to schedule the dives during times with least current.
Prizes and Sponsors
Overall Performance :
- 1st place Male / Female: 20 mio Rupiah
- 2nd place Male / Female: 15 mio Rupiah
- 3rd place Male / Female: 10 mio Rupiah
Best Discipline :
- Best CWT Male / Female: 10 mio Rupiah
- Best FIM Male / Female: 10 mio Rupiah
- Best CNF Male / Female: 10 mio Rupiah
Best Newcomers :
- Best CWT Newcomer M/F: 5 mio Rupiah
- Best FIM Newcomer M/F: 5 mio Rupiah
- Best CNF Newcomer M/F: 5 mio Rupiah
(Prizes are tax deductible)
Many other awards and surprises are waiting during our closing ceremony on Dec 2nd!
We hope this information is helpful, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any further questions!
We wish everyone successful training and hope to see you in November!
The Indonesian Freediving Team